Thursday 7 June 2012

Diamond Jubilee Review

I must admit, that I didn't watch much of the Jubilee, I only watched part of the pageant on the boats. Above this are some videos which show the highlights of the Jubilee (IF they work). But the whole 60 years got me thinking a bit and it linked to something I had read in my brothers magazine. This is what I read and it made me think that 60 years ago they would have been so different. I find these lists quite worrying:

TOP TEN THINGS CHILDREN AGED 5 TO 13 CAN DO:
1. Work a DVD player 67%
2.  Log onto the internet 58%
3. Play computer games on games console (WII, XBOX or similar) 50%
4. Make a phone call 46%
5. Use a handheld games console (Nintendo DSI, PSP or similar) 45%
6. Use an IPhone (or smartphone) 42%
7. Wok Sky Plus 41%
8. Send a text message 38%
9. Search for clips on You Tube 37%
10. Use an IPad (or tablet computer) 31%


TOP TEN THINGS CHILDREN AGED 5 TO 13 CAN'T DO:
1. Recognise 3 types of butterfly 91%
2. Repair a puncture 87%
3. Tie a reef knot 83%
4. Read a map 81%
5. Build a camp fire 78% / Put up a tent 78.5%
6. Spot a blackbird, sparrow or robin 72%
7. Make papier mache 71%
8. Make a cup of tea 65%
9. Build a den 63%
10. Climb a tree 59%


That worried me a lot.
And the reason it linked the diamond jubilee was something I said to my mum yesterday. I had got tippex on my top and my mum googled the answer of how to get it off (It said use white spirit and we got it off) and then I said "If this had been 60 years ago you would have had to cope without the internet" or something along those lines. My point is that 60 years ago there was not computers in every house, with internet access at the ready. I would not be able to be writing this blog, you would not be able to be reading it. And referring to those lists, where will we be in another 60 years time. Will we all be robots, only able to operate technical machines. Will things like tree climbing and reading be lost to us?

Only time will tell...


Deadra xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating. How many of the top ten things that children can't do are you yourself capable of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those who are wondering here are the things I can do:

    1. Recognise 3 types of butterfly YES
    2. Repair a puncture NO
    3. Tie a reef knot YES
    4. Read a map YES
    5. Build a camp fire YES / Put up a tent YES
    6. Spot a blackbird, sparrow or robin YES
    7. Make papier mache YES
    8. Make a cup of tea YES
    9. Build a den YES
    10. Climb a tree YES

    That is 9 out of 10 of the things. I cannot repair a tyre (I don't think so anyway) although I haven't actually tried to as I don't ride my bike very often.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete